Throwing my hat in the ring: RadarNow is essential if you’re outside in finicky weather. I used it all the time during frog fieldwork. And now for some inspiring imaginatively titled posts. There’s a lot of overlap, but generally the last 2-3 apps will be different.
Both Android and iOS
- Apps Help Filmmakers Reign in Costs - ironically this is also the only article to link to a $400 app (which to be fair sounds pretty wicked)
- No Film School - 5 Handy Mobile Apps to Help Make Your Filmmaking Endeavors More Productive. Bonus: the iphone and android tags.
- The Beat - 10 Filmmaking apps under $10
- a bunch of photo apps, but the light meters and such are good
- Unified Manufacturing – 25 Useful Apps for Indie Filmmakers
- Best Apps for Movie Makers 2011
- Sustainability Checklist for pre/post/production
- Call Sheet App or to link straight to it: Doodle
- Canon DSLR Controller - for android, using this app can set up a tablet as a field monitor
- Cineblur – Android Apps
- ReelSEO – Review of SL Director’s Viewfinder App for Android
- John Hess – Android Filmmaking Apps
- The Black and Blue – 5 Useful Cinematography Android Apps
- FWD:labs – 20 Professional Android Apps
- Ernie Zahn – Android & Filmmaking TONS of apps
- Filmmaking with Your Android Tablet
- The Black and Blue – Useful Cinematography iPhone Apps to Have on a Film Set Series. There are NINE POSTS.
- DSLR Toolkit
- Hurlblog - 13 iPhone Apps
- Filmmaker IQ – 22 Filmmaking Apps for iOS
- The Design Work – Best iPad Apps for Filmmakers
- Actors & Crew - The Top Ten Best Filmmaking Apps for the iPhone
- Filmmaking Stuff - Top Filmmaking Apps
- Hollywood Oracle Reviews - Best Filmmaking Apps for your iPhone or other Portable Devices
- MRP - Turn Your Mobile Devices into Movie Tools
- The International Film Institute – Filmmaker Tools
- App Advice – Apps for Filmmakers
- Film Riot – The Best iPhone Apps for Filmmakers! (video)
- Raindance Filmfest – 8 iPhone Apps for Filmmakers
- Macedonia Films – reviews of apps Judges apps on 3 main criteria: dropbox compatibility universal file formats, and universal apps (same for iPod and iPad). His reviews are a bit long.
- B&H Photo – 10 Ways the New iPad Can Help Professional Filmmakers
- Best Filmmaking Apps for iPhone
- Apps for Making a Movie
Randomly I found a 6.5 minute tutorial on how to use a slate app… that seems a bit excessive, but to be honest I haven’t seen the tutorial or used a slate app, so I could be completely wrong!
At some point I will go through all these and create an actual list… but not today.